Patton

Patton

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Incredibly Blessed

Today I feel incredibly blessed. Kaleb had his routine cancer check up at Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri. We go in every 6 months to see the oncologist and get an MRI scan to make sure his infantile fibrosarcoma doesn't come back. It is always a long day and I feel bad because they have to sedate Kaleb since he's two and won't hold still long enough for the MRI. I like to have it done though for a peace of mind that it hasn't come back. Kaleb is now almost two years cancer free. I can't help but think about Kaleb and when he was diagnosed almost on a daily basis. It depresses me, but then I'm happy that he's alive and doing well.

While we were at the oncology offices today there was a little girl not much older than Kaleb with just a little peach fuzz on her head and a mask over her face. She was undergoing chemotherapy. I'm not sure what cancer she has, but she is fighting. This poor girl doesn't have a normal childhood. She can't be around many people because of the germs and the high risk of her getting extremely sick due to being on chemotherapy.

There was a boy about 10 years old and he also had no hair, a mask over his face, and walking with a cane because he's so weak from his cancer and the chemotherapy treatment. He obviously isn't living the life a 10 year old boy should be living.

I feel so blessed that we didn't have to go through that. Kaleb was diagnosed with cancer when he was 6 months old. We were so blessed that his cancer was so localized he didn't have to have chemotherapy. He only had to have surgery. Yes he had three surgeries and it was tough and definitely a hardship. No one wants hear their child has cancer or that they have to have three surgeries. It definitely took a toll on me physically and emotionally. I am so grateful that he has been clean for almost two years, next month. We don't have to be cautious about who he plays with or wearing a mask. He has a full thick head of hair and gets to live a wonderful life of a little boy.

I feel incredibly blessed, grateful to my Father in Heaven and I pray for those that aren't as lucky.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed! To clear any confusion Kaleb is 3 years old and is two years cancer free.

    ReplyDelete