- Trace Paul’s second missionary journey from Bible Map 13.
Read Acts 16:6–10; 18:9–11. Write a paragraph explaining the different ways the Holy Ghost directed Paul and his companions during their journey.
In reading Acts 16:6-10 it talks about how Paul went through all these different cities and there was not any success. One night Paul had a vision that he must go to Macedonia because there was a man that prayed for help, the town needed him. The very next day they headed to Macedonia. The Holy Ghost directed them to who needed them most. In Acts 18:9-11 it talks about how Paul had another vision at night that he will be protected by the Lord, and how Paul should not be afraid. After this Paul stayed and taught the word of God for a year and a half. The Holy Ghost knew what Paul’s fears were and then comforted and reassured him in knowing God will protect him.
Write a second paragraph describing how the Spirit has directed your missionary efforts, and one way you could be more directed by the Spirit in your life.
In my life I have not had any incredible missionary stories. The things that have happened have been small in comparison of many others. In high school when people would try to argue with me about my religion that they had no knowledge about would really make me angry. In those situations I would feel comforted, and I would calm down because I know the truth. Even if the others did not believe me, I know it is true and that is all that matters. One way that my life can be more directed by the Spirit is by listening closer about decisions that need to be made. I know it this does not have to do with missionary work, but I am having my first baby, and listening to the Spirit can help me to know how to raise my child because I have never been a parent before. It is scary and I hope that the Lord will help me out through the Spirit.
- Review Acts 16:9–33. Make a list of the reasons Paul was able to preach the gospel so effectively.
· Followed the Spirit
· Taught the gospel on the way to his destination
· Continued to worship God even when persecuted
· Sang praises to God
· Preached to the jail keeper while in jail
· He was optimistic
· He didn’t let the wicked destroy his happiness
- Then in writing answer the following questions:
- In what ways did Paul turn his experiences into missionary opportunities? Paul sang praises to God in jail and then he eventually preached the word and baptized the jail keeper.
- What can you learn from Paul’s missionary experiences? No matter what happens we need to remain faithful even if we are in bad circumstances, God will help us.
- How does Mosiah 4:9–10 expand your understanding of Acts 17:30–31? In Acts we have been reading about how Paul has had faith in and understood that God is in power. He teaches the word of God to everyone that will listen, he tells them to repent. In Mosiah it talks about how God is the creator of this world, He knows all. It also talks about how we need to repent and humble ourselves then our Creator will forgive us.
- What can you do now to better prepare yourself to share the gospel, whether as a full-time missionary or as a member? We need to become more Christ-like, and listen to the Spirit. Follow what the Spirit tells us rather than ignoring it.